Friday, 4 January 2013

It's Immaterial



A Gigantic Raft in the Philippines (1982)

Ploughing my way through the washing up last night, I was listening to Steve Lamacq on Radio 6, although he was actually transmitting an old Roundtable show from 1984  (only the Lord knows why because it was terrible - host was Paul Gambaccini with guests David Coverdale, Chrissy Boy from Madness and Janis Long. Coverdale and Chrissy Boy hated everything but Billy Idol (!!) and Long seemed to love it all, even though most of the records were uniformly awful) (excuse overlong and complex use of brackets)). I say 'uniformly awful' but there was one fine exception - a record I'd completely forgotten about by a band I'd more or less dropped down Memory Drain long ago, It's Immaterial. When they played this one I actually thought for a minute that Lamacq had cut into the show with a new song from a new band and it wasn't until close to the end of the track that I realised it was a great blast from the past.

It's Immaterial were a Liverpool based combo who nearly made it on the 'Indie' scene but not quite. 'A Gigantic Raft in the Philippines' was released originally in 1982 but was remixed and put out again in 1984. I prefer the original but they are both very fine.

4 comments:

The Swede said...

I was doing the very same thing last night. Washing up (what exciting lives we lead) and wondering why on earth Steve Lamacq had chosen this particular Round Table to re-transmit. There must be hundreds of more interesting editions in the vaults. Hope he doesn't make a habit of it.

Singing Bear said...

Our lives are obviously conducted at the cutting edge of the thrill zone! See you at the next dishes session!

CityScape Skybaby said...

I loved this song, it always used to get played on a really good Sunday night programme called Streetlife on Radio Merseyside. It was sometimes hosted by Janis Long though Con McConville was my favourite Streetlife presenter. Sorry, that's all a bit random but that song is forever associated with that show for me. xx

Old Pa's Corner said...

First time I have heard this...not that bad is it!!! great title tho!